This is the best cake ever! This is modified version of Mary Berry's Iced apricot fruit loaf.
Baking time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
3 oz (75 g) glacee cherries
4 large eggs
6 oz (175 g) self-raising flour
4 oz (100 g) unsalted butter
4 oz (100 g) light muskovado sugar
4 oz (100 g) ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
5 oz (150 g) sultanas mixed with lemon zest and caramelised orange rind
2 tablespoons apricot jam
Icing sugar (for decoration)
1. Pre-heat oven to 160 C/325 F/Gas 3. Lightly grease loaf tin.
2. Break eggs into bowl and mix them with sugar.
3. After sugar disolves measure in the remaining cake ingredients including cherries (jam and icing sugar leave for later!). Beat well until the mixture is smooth.
4. Turn into prepared tin.
5. Bake for about hour and 10 minutes or until cake is golden brown. A fine skewer inserted into the centre of the cake should come out clean.
6. Allow cake to cool for about 10 minutes then turn out and leave to cool.
7. In meantime heat jam. When boil spread over loaf.
8. Allow jam to cool. Then decorate cake with icing sugar.