Followers

Tuesday 7 June 2011

KAPUSNIAK - POLISH TRADITIONAL SAUERKRAUT SOUP


I think I am addicted to this soup ... :). This is my absolute number one! Kapusniak is nourishing traditional Polish soup. My Mother is making it on Autumn and Winter.
The best sauerkraut you will buy in Polish shops.



Ingredients:

2 or 3 litres vegetable broth
half kilogram sauerkraut (without juice)
2 large carrots
1 large parsley - root or parsnip
1 small onion
half small celeriac
200 g smoked bacon
half teaspoon marjoram
half teaspoon caraway
4 medium potatoes
3 seeds pimento
2 bay leafes
salt
pepper
3 tablespoon tomatoe puree

1. Cut sauerkraut. If you bought sauerkraut in juice - use just cabbage. You can drink juice - is full of vitamine C and very tasty! If you like kapusniak very sour - you can add some of juice to broth.
2. Dice into small pieces carrots, celeriac, potatoes and parsnip.  Add vegetables, cabbage, bay leafes, pimento, caraway, marjoram to broth. Start cooking on low heat. Cook for one hour (more or less).
3.  Dice bacon and onion into very small pieces. Fry bacon. Add cracklings to soup. Use fat from bacon and fry onion on it. When golden-brown add to soup. Cook for 30 minutes.
4. Add tomatoe puree and season soup. Cook for 10 minutes.
5. Serve very hot with fresh sourdough bread.

Smacznego!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aleksandra,

    I'm here again!..I also can't start eating without a soup, I make it sure that I always have it in every meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup is divine, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :))