Crumble is one of the best comfort dishes. It is warm, sweet and simple to make.
Recipe addapted from "Bake" by Rachel Allen
- 5 apples (I have used granny smith and gala)
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 75g plain flour
- 75g almond flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75g butter, chilled and cubed
- 30g porridge oats
- 75g sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Prepare 1 liter pie dish.
2. Peel, core and cut the apples into big chunks.
3. Place the apples, water and 2 tablespoons sugar into saucepan set over medium heat and cook, stirring every minute or so, for approximately 20 minutes. Apples needs to become soft pulp. Transfer apples to pie dish and let it cool.
4. Next, make the crumble. Place the flours and cinnamon in a large bowl, add the butter and, using your fingertips, rub it in until mixture resembles very coarse breaducrumbs. Add the sugar and oats and mix to combine.
5. Sprinkle mixture over the apples.
6. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until golden.
7. Serve with ice-creams, double cream or vanilla custard.