I truly love raspberries...I could eat them all the time. I think this cake is a real beauty. It is really easy so try to bake it :).
Recipe for sponge cake and inspiration for this cake are from blog: Chute a vone mojej kuchyne. Mascarpone layer is from my No Bake Tiramisu Cheesecake (recipe is in Polish).
Ingredients for raspberry jelly:
- 0.5 kg raspberries (I used frozen ones)
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 raspberry jellies (I used Polish “Galaretka” - you can buy it in Polish groceries; or calculate the amount of gelatine leaves needed based on package instructions, then soak it in cold water until it softened)
1. Cover 6"/18cm cake tin with cling film.
2. Blend raspberries. Sieve mixture to separate puree from seeds.
3. Mix puree with sugar and lemon juice.
4. Mix jellies/galaretka/gelatine leaves in 150 ml boiling water.
5. Pour jelly mixture into puree and mix well.
6. Pour mixture to prepared tin.
7. Place tin into refrigerator for few hours - to set.
Ingredients for cocoa sponge:
- 100g plain flour
- 100g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon oil
1. 7"-8"/23 cm cake tin grease with little butter and then sprinkle with flour.
2. Whisk egg whites with sugar until stiff.
3. Add egg yolks, one a time. Whisk for a few minutes. Batter needs to be really fluffy.
4. Fold oil into mixture (use spatula).
5. Fold (use spatula) sieved flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Do it very carefully.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes in preheated oven to 180 C/350 F.
7. Baked cake leave to cool.
Ingredients for coconut mousse
- 1 vodka glass of Malibu (or other coconut liqueur)
- 500g mascarpone
- 500ml double cream
- 5 teaspoons powdered gelatine (I have used 12 gelatine leaves)
- 1,5 cup icing sugar
- 0.5 cup boiling water
- 0.5 cup desiccated coconut
1. Sprinkle gelatine over boiling hot water. Stir it well. Leave it to cool (it needs to be cooler but still liquid).
2. Whisk half a icing sugar with the mascarpone and the coconut liqueur. Add coconut.
3. Whip the cream with remaining icing sugar until soft peaks.
4. Combine 4 tablespoons whipped cream with the gelatine.
5. Slowly pour gelatine into cream when you whipping it to stiff peaks.
6. Straight away combine whipped cream with mascarpone mixture.
7. Half a coconut mousse spread over cocoa sponge.
8. In the middle of cake place raspberry jelly disk.
9. Cover jelly with remaining coconut mousse.
10. Place the cake into refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
11. Next day: remove cake from the tin. Sprinkle top with desiccated coconut and decorate with ground pistachios and fresh raspberries.