This is one of the most moist cakes I have ever eaten. It taste like caramel ice-creams (in my opinion) :).
Ingredients for cake:
Ingredients for sauce
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 large or 3 normal size eggs
- 15ml (1 tbsp) smooth apricot jam
- 150 g (6½ oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 1,5 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 5ml (1 tsp) white vinegar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup double cream
- 100ml butter
- 0,5 cup white sugar
- 0,5 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Beat the caster sugar and eggs until fluffy and light.
- Beat in the apricot jam.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together 3 times.
- Melt the butter with vinegar and milk over low heat.
- Fold the flour mixture and the milk mixture alternately into the egg mixture and pour the batter into a greased ovenproof dish.
- Bake the pudding for about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place the cream, butter, sugar, milk and vanilla into a saucepan and stir over moderate heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Remove the pudding from the oven, pierce it in a number of places with a skewer and pour the hot sauce over it immediately.
- Serve hot or cold with cream.