Marinara is one of my favourite Italian sauces! Serve it with pasta or with Chicken Parmesan. It is also great as a thick pizza sauce.
Truly delicious :)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves or 1 big one
- can of peeled tomatoes
- 2 small shallots or half of small onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf (dry or fresh one)
- 0.5 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 0.5 dry oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
1. Finely chop the garlic and onion.
2. Heat olive oil, add in onion and saute couple of minutes.
3. Then add garlic, salt, parsley, oregano, basil and chilli flakes. Saute for about half a minute.
4. Add herbs & onion mixture, bay leaf and sugar into tomatoes. Bring mixture to simmer then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes (remember to stir occasionally).
5. When thickened season with salt, pepper, and sugar.