I found recipe for schnecken in "How to be a domestic goddess" by Nigella Lawson. I have changed ingredients for filling. I love eat schnecken for the evening snack with hot chocolate.
Ingredients for dough:
500g plain flour
50g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
7g easy blend yeast
75g unsalted butter
2 large eggs
Ingredients for filling:
200g chopped or grated walnuts
Caster sugar (I add 6 tablespoons, you can add less or more)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Ingredients for glaze:
1 teaspoon of milk
Ingredients for frosting
half a cup of icing-sugar
fresh lemon juice (approx from half a lemon)
1. Combine the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a larg bowl.
2. Melt the butter in the milk. Beat eggs and stir into a dry ingredients.
3. Knead for 10 minutes.
4. When dough will be springy and satiny, form into a ball. Put to oiled bowl, turn to a coat, and cover with a clingfilm. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Combine well all filling ingredients.
6. Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
7. When dough will be ready, knock it back, knead once or twice and then roll out to a large rectangle.
8. Spread walnut filling on dough.
9. Roll on dough, carefully and firmly (though not too tightly), keeping a firm sausage shape.
10. Cut roll into slices. Put each slice on the baking tin.
11. Beat egg and milk. Brush each slice with glaze.
12. Leave schnecken for 20 minutes to risen.
13. After 20 minutes put baking tin to oven. Bake slices for approx 20-25 minute, until golden-brown.
14. Remove baking tin from oven. Put schnecken to cool rack.
15. Prepare frosting: add little bit lemon juice to icing-sugar. Mix it. If will be to dry add more juice. Do it slowly. Good froting should looks like thicker double cream.
16. When schnecken will be cold spread frosting on them.
17. Before serving wait until frosting will dry.