I found Levant's sweets unique and really delicious. Lovely mix of pistachio and rose guarantee explosion of endorphins. Baklava twist cookies are not as sweet as baklava but tastes really similar.
Adapted from Good Cooks. I have changed recipe to my preferences but look of cookies is the same.
Ingredients for the topping:
- 3/4 cup pistachios, unshelled
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 1 heaped tablespoon dried rose petals (optional)
Ingredients for the cookies:
- 230 grams cold unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- around 280-300 gram plain flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoons rose water
1. Blend all topping ingredients for a paste - it should have coarse texture.
2. Knead all the ingredients for cookies. Don't do it too long. Form the dough into ball and wrap it with plastic bag or cling film.
3. Place the dough into fridge for about one hour.
4. Form small balls from the dough. Roll each one into log. Twist each log into loop, overlapping one end into the other. I also covered small hole in middle of cookies with small amount of dough.
5. Top each cookie with topping.
6. Place cookies on the tray lined with baking paper.
7. Bake twists in pre-heated oven to 180C (350F) for about 15 minutes.
8. Ready cookies decorate with chopped pistachios and dried rose petals.